It’s raining, it’s pouring; it’s time to give that soup pot a stirring! The Mumbai monsoons certainly seemed sparse and almost non-existent until last week. Around came Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations and we were embraced with blessings from the weather gods. The city celebrated the auspicious festival with the much-needed rain. Everyone was rejoicing until today’s downpour that seems never ending, and is slowly but steadily bringing the city to a standstill. It’s the perfect time to stay indoors, keep dry and warm up with nutritious soups and stews.
This day of massive floods and near zero visibility is an apt time to share a monsoon favourite soup recipe – Curried Chicken and Corn Soup. This soup celebrates the universally loved monsoon vegetable – corn. The chicken and chicken stock provide the soup with the wholesome nourishment our body craves on a rainy day. The heady aromas of the earthy spices and the tang of the rice wine vinegar elevate the simple ingredients of the soup. They add a depth of flavour that’s always welcomed on a wash out day! In short, this soup is a simple, healthy, flavorful and nourishing hug on a wet (or cold) and dreary day!
So stay indoors, stay calm and get your soup game on!
Curried Chicken & Corn Soup Recipe
Recipe adapted from Soup: 200 Healthy & Delicious Recipes
Yield: 4-5 servings
Time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 boneless skinless breasts, cut into thin long strips
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
5 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 ½ cups sweet corn, shelled
8-10 curry leaves
½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
½ teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg
2 scallions (spring onions), chopped to garnish
- Heat 1.5 tablespoons of the seasame oil in a large soup put over medium heat. Add the chicken, garlic and ginger and sauté until the chicken is white from the outside 7-8 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Pour in the chicken stock, corn and curry leaves into a pot and bring to a boil. Once its reached a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the soup is coming to a boil, in a small bowl stir together the rice wine vinegar along with the cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilli. Stir it into the simmering soup. Season with salt and pepper per your taste.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg with the remaining oil. Return the cooked chicken to the soup. Slowly pour the egg and sesame oil into the soup stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken and egg is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with the soup with the scallions. Serve hot.