As Indo-Americans’ November has been a rather traumatic and chaotic month for us. Living in India we’ve been hit by the burden of demonetization and all the turmoil that comes along with it. In addition the largest upset in the US presidential election history and sentiment reflected by Americans in their choice of president elect has really left us heartbroken. It just been weeks of negative and depressing news coming out of both the countries we call home!
If you have been following my blog for a while, you can guess that my coping mechanism for all this is “Keep Calm and Make Soup”. This recipe is the outcome of one of my several therapeutic soup-making sessions. I was distraught by the outcome of the presidential election and decided to make a Mexican inspired soup to mock the preposterous idea of an impenetrable wall between Mexico and America.
This Mexican Chicken Meatball Soup recipe is my take on a traditional Albondigas (Meatball in Spanish) Soup. The meatballs in the traditional version are made with ground beef. Given the autocratic ban of beef in several parts of India, I chose to create my meatballs with chicken. It’s a simple soup made with meatballs, onions, garlic, broth and tomatoes. It’s considered quintessential comfort food in a Mexican household.
Socio-Political references aside this soup with all its deep, earthy flavours is real keeper. It’s a nutritious, scrumptious and well-balanced, one-pot meal. So go ahead roll out those meatballs, simmer this soup and savour it to its last drop… till it soothes all your troubles away!
Mexican Chicken Meatball Soup Recipe
Yield: 3-4 servings
Time: Active: 30 minutes Inactive: 1 hr
250 grams (8oz) ground chicken breast
1/3 cup cooked short grain rice
¼ cup of bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon of mint, minced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup red onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
¼ cup celery stocks, diced
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
1 cup tomatoes, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Lime wedges for serving (optional)
- Step 1 and Step 2 can be done ahead of time.
- Place all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Use your hands to gently mix everything together. Make small golf-ball sized meatballs and place them on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Once the meatballs harden
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large soup pot, on medium heat. To this add the chopped red onions, garlic and celery. Cook till the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, cumin, oregano, cilantro, cayenne, tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring everything to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Take the meatballs out of the fridge 15 minutes before you plan to add them to the soup to cook to bring them to room temperature.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and slowly add in the meatballs (be gentle with them so they don’t break apart). Add in the meatballs, reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are fully cooked through.
- Divide the soup and meatballs between bowls and serve warm with lemon wedges.