We are back in Bombay; rejuvenated and sun-kissed from a lovely short getaway in Goa.
It was four days packed with sun, sand, ocean and copious amounts of amazing food! I have returned with a whole lot of culinary inspiration and a suitcase full of Goan spices and treats. Before I start recreating my favorite dishes from the trip my body deserves and demands some healthy and clean eating. It’s time for lower carbohydrate and higher protein meals.
This Shrimp Scampi Zoodle recipe is my attempt to savor the brilliant flavors of traditional shrimp scampi, while eliminating the carbs of the pasta the extra butter found in the former. The shrimp is reminiscent of all the amazing seafood I ate on the trip, so I can continue to hold onto my vacation for a little longer. Zucchini noodles – are the perfect high hiber, low calorie and lower carbohydrate substitute for pasta or noodles. The trick while cooking them is to ensure they stay “al dente” – have a bite to them so it feels like you are indulging in pasta. The extra virgin olive oil, white wine, lemon juice and parsley are simple ingredients that add tons of flavor and aroma to the dish. Their pairing with seafood is a marriage made in heaven, that makes shrimp scampi such a popular Italian dish. The zucchini noodles beautifully take on the flavors of all these elements and you have a light and refreshing meal ready in just a few minutes.
This guilt free version of shrimp scampi is the perfect answer for those days when you need a pick me up meal that uplifts your spirits without those additional calories that bring you back down a little later!
Shrimp Scampi Zoodles (Zuchini Noodles)
Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings
3 whole large zucchinis, washed and dried
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ cup red onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
250 grams (8 ounces) medium shrimp, deveined
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup dry white wine (See note)
¼ cup vegetable stock
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- If you don’t want to use the wine, just skip this step. Instead increase the vegetable stock to ½ cup.
- Use a spiralizer to make noodles of the zucchini and set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Add the crushed red pepper and garlic and sauté for a minute. Now add onions and cook stirring constantly till the onions are soft and translucent. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink but not fully cooked through, about 1-2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan. Cook till the wine is reduced to half.
- Add the stock and warm it up. Now stir in the lemon zest and juice and warm it everything together for a minute.
- Stir in the zucchini noodles and cook tossing everything together for 1-2 minutes until the noodles are warmed through. Stir in the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is fully cooked. Remember you want to leave the noodles “al dente” so they have some bite like traditional pasta. Do not overcook the zoodles as they will get mushy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Top with parmesan cheese if you are using it. Serve warm.